Monday, September 22, 2014

Review: The Dark King (Fae Series #2)


It's pretty much a given that book two in a given series (especially YA....my own included) is going to try its best to break your heart. Stomp on your feelings a little. Take your favorite character and rough 'em up enough that you think they're down for the count..

Seriously. Think "Empire Strikes Back" or "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers." You aren't left with the warm and squishies.

So keeping that in mind, I forged ahead.

Abedi (two sisters writing under one name) replaced a few minor cast members from the last book with more beautiful, more stake-worthy members of the light and dark fae courts. So where there was uber-gorgeous, cliche cheerleader Jordana in Fae, there's now super-sexy, ultra deadly Katya in The Dark King. Where Brian Baker kind of played the foil to Devilyn in the first episode, enter light fae Rowan to test Devilyn's intentions and patience in this one.

I liked it. I honestly think Katya was swept under the rug a little quickly, but that's neither here nor there.

WHAT I LOVED:

I loved Rowan. Boy, did I love Rowan. I loved Rowan so much, that I hope Rowan might get his own book some day. (Did I say Rowan enough in that sentence? Rowan. There. I'm done.)

I also loved Teddy more and more, though I'm not so sure of his role these days. I hope he's got a part to play in the third book.

Puck. He was an interesting addition to the cast to say the least.

The attraction/tension between Caroline and Devilyn. It amped waaaaaay up in this book and all I can say is that this book made me mildly interested in camping. If I was 17. And being pursued by two hottie mc-fairies. Seriously.

WHAT WAS DIFFICULT:

Holy cliffhangers, BatReader. I know it's bound to happen. I know that in the YA Trilogy Universe, cosmic law dictates that you must break my heart on the last page, but Abedi(s) literally yanked me out of a fantastic, teen-fantasy dream (a party! costumes!) into Caroline's nightmare and then...gasp!...ended the book.

There's no word yet when the third book will be released, but we'll be sure to keep you updated as soon as we hear something.

The saga continues...we just don't know when!

....happy reading!...


DETAILS

Title: The Dark King

Series: Fae Series

Author: CJ Abedi

Publisher: Diversion Books

Author Websitefacebook.com/faetrilogy

Author Twitter@cjabedi

Price: 4.99 (Ebook)

Book Source: Oyster.com

No comments:

Post a Comment